Saturday, October 31, 2009

{ playing with light - Lindsay + Tyson }

So I'm sitting here cold, and hot, and cold, and hot... with a fever on Halloween. LAME! My dearest TV is boring me, my medicine is taking forever to kick in, my husband is out of town for business, and I needed something to distract me from my misery. Bring on my latest project! My husband may tsk-tsk me for 'working' when I'm sick, but honestly this shoot made me so happy that it doesn't feel like work at all.

Flashback to last week... I had the opportunity to go to my first big workshop with Amelia and Justin Lyon. I have followed their work for some time now, and have always had huge respect for their photography skill, creativeness, and business sense. I don't want to steal their style, but I believe that if you learn from the best, you will go places. And I want to go places! I learned an incredible amount, and I'm still trying to process all the great info they shared, but my first order of business was to master off camera flash. So here is my first attempt at using flash. I'd love to hear what you think... leave a comment if you want to share your thoughts.

PS: Lindsay, thanks so much for being so hot and being my model. Sorry I got sick and ruined out co-Halloween costume for the party tonight :-(

And Tyson, thank you for driving all the way down from Long Beach.... on a Friday night to pose for me... even though we didn't really even know each other. You're awesome!

Ok, ok this first one is natural light, but it's not somewhere I would've chosen to shoot a couple weeks ago because of the harsh light... cool shadow, huh?


That's right, Lindsay is going for a bit of liquid courage here... she and Tyson barely know each other, but here I am asking them to look like a couple. Thanks guys!


A little Wes Anderson inspired... just watched The Darjeeling Limited the other night.


Awe, she's so pretty... my bestie, Sarah did her make-up...


Ok, here's the flash... a bit harsh, but fun... right?


Do you like the left photo or the right? With a flash by their feet or not?


One of my favorites!






Another favorite...


Nice bangs, Tyson :-)


Damn, Lindsay...






Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Amanda! These are AMAZING! Teach me!

November 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Jen Johnson said...

Good stuff!!!

November 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Lindsay Wager said...

tyson does have nice hair, haha. I really love how they turned out and had so much fun doing it. I can't wait to see the rest!

November 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Tiffani said...

wow! unbelievable!! they look so great. :o) My favorite one is the one with just her legs and shoes. And the third one from the top too where they are looking at each other. And of the two side by side I liked the one with the flash at thier feet. I thought that one looked awesome!!

November 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM  
Anonymous amelia lyon said...

Okay, VERY proud of you!!! So glad you could take some of what we taught and make it work your way...love it, you rocked it!

November 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home