Sunday, August 15, 2010

I'm gonna be a 'pseudo' aunt / full time photo taker!

So the time has come... and I'm in a constant state of feeling excited, terrified, sad, inspired, nostalgic, happy, proud, insecure, guilty, and nervous... all at the same time.

If the blog title hasn't already given away what the heck I'm talking about, here you go: I'm going full time with this whole photography thing and transitioning out of nanny-hood and into 'pseudo' auntie-hoot for the kids I've taken care of (and loved to pieces) since they were babies. I've been with them for 6 1/2 years (yes, six and a half years!) and I still don't think the reality of not seeing them all the time has sunken in yet.

I'll miss them for sure, but can't wait to ditch the authority figure role in their lives and take on the fun, auntie role. No more forcing them to eat their veggies... now I get to let them eat candy and french fries because Amanda Time will be fun time!



So on the flip side of this whole situation is the scariest thing of all: Being a full time photographer. Just typing that made my stomach churn (like, literally). I've been looking forward to going full time for a while now, but now that its actually happening I'm nervous as hell (to be perfectly honest). There are so many what-ifs, uncertainties, budget tragedies, and fears making my head spin, but one thing trumps all that:

I'm ridiculously excited to be turning something that I've always loved into my career. I get to take pictures of people celebrating great times in their lives... and get paid for it! How cool is that?! It's definitely worth all the stress (but seriously people, help a girl out and tell everyone you know that you know a photographer that needs work! I'd be forever grateful!)

My friend Kate Noelle sneakily snapped these photos of me in action a few weeks ago. This will be me full time now: squinting into a camera, telling people to put their left hand on their hip, (but really meaning their right hand), reminding people to put their chin down, laughing, and taking photos of gorgeous people. Whoohoo!







Warning: cheese alert! I'm about to sound like I'm accepting an Oscar or something, but this needs to be said...

Josh, I can't believe you're being so supportive... you do realize we may be eating Top Raman for a few months, right? Thank you so much for having so much faith in me.

And to my clients- I really can't thank you enough... I still get butterflies in my stomach when I hear that I'm officially hired to photograph you and your life. I love all of you!

To my girls Kate Noelle, Stephanie Ann, Amanda Doublin, and Melissa Munding... you make my heart sooooooooo happy. You've all been the most amazing support system a girl could ask for... and you're all kick ass photographers to boot :-)

And of course, to my friends and family that listen to me drone on and on about photography, thank you for listening and always telling me I can do this. I love you, too :-)


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Desiree Eaglin said...

aww, amanda you're always going to succeed and you never should worry. you are an amazing photographer and an amazing person that will always attract business. i think being nervous like this will always keep you motivated and that's the true sign of success!
p.s. i'll miss those kids too! :(

August 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Jen Johnson said...

YAY, Amanda!!! This is just another step forward in your already awesome career!

August 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Anonymous tami =) said...

congratulations Amanda!! I was one of the bridesmaid at KeVilma's wedding and it was just great meeting you and looking at your work!! i didn't know you were a nanny too! =P best of luck to you!! =)

August 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG this made me tear up! I love you Amanda and I know you'll do great!-Janicia

August 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You can SO do it! LOVE YOU TOO!!!! Bunches and bunches and bunches. Congratulations on the big leap, it's gonna be great.

August 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Kate Noelle said...

Dude. You're gonna rock it as a full-timer. And I'll be there. Cross my heart and hope we don't die. ;)

August 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Rafael said...

Smiling from ear to ear reading this! So very happy for you:) Many many congrats!!

August 24, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home